Download and install
On this page, you'll learn:
- What is the difference between installing the full platform or only the 'client'
- How to install the client and the server software.
- To solve certain problems you may encounter during installation.
Download latest release
|Download only the client||or download the full platform|
|To try out MSP Challenge or use it as a participant, you only need to download and install the client application from one of the links below, and log on to either one of our demo sessions or to another one provided to you.
Current release: Version 4.0-beta7
Dated 01 Mar 2021 | Release notes
|To host MSP Challenge sessions with your own computer, you need to download and install the full platform from one of the links below, and ask your participants to connect to your computer (functioning as a server).
Current release: Version 4.0-beta7
Dated 1 Mar 2021 | Release notes
Important! You have to be logged in to be able to download a release! Don't have an account yet? Create one here.
Always download and install the latest version, as listed above under 'Download latest release'.
|Client-only installer||Full platform installer|
Please take note of our system requirements listed here.
Client-only installation instructions
This is useful if you only want to quickly try out MSP Challenge, or if you are an end user getting ready to join an MSP Challenge session. This is because you will only install the client application, i.e., the application that end users use. After installation you can log on to one of our demo servers. Note that this is suitable for demonstration purposes only (so not full-on sessions) as the demo servers are accessible to anyone anywhere in the world and reset themselves daily.
Instructions for Windows 10
You have two options:
- Download the ZIP file listed above, unpack the MSP Challenge folder contained in it to a location of your choice (e.g. the Documents folder or the Desktop), open that folder, and run msp.exe. If you like, you can create a Shortcut to msp.exe and put it on your Desktop or your Start Menu.
- Or download the latest client-only installer above and run it. Depending on your Windows 10 security settings, you might get a blue Windows Defender SmartScreen notice. If you do, you'll have to click on More Info, check the box (if present) to indicate you want to continue, and click on Run Anyway. You'll be presented with an installation wizard. Just follow the steps. The installer will add a shortcut to your Start menu, and optionally one on your Desktop (depending on whether you selected that option during installation).
If you are upgrading to any newer version, we advise you to uninstall the older version first (go to Settings > Apps, and scroll down the list).
Instructions for macOS
Simply download the latest client-only ZIP above, and allow macOS to unpack it first. If you like, you can then drag the MSP Challenge app over to Applications and/or your Dock.
Opening MSP Challenge the very first time is a little tricky. You'll have to do it from the Finder. First press and hold the Control key, then click on MSP Challenge and select Open. You will get a warning that won't allow you to continue. If so, then close the warning, and again hold the Control key, click on MSP Challenge and select Open. Yes, you might have to do the exact same thing twice. The second time you should definitely get the option to Open the file regardless of the warning. The default security settings of macOS will not allow you to start MSP Challenge any other way the first time.
Next time you can just click on it to open it from your Dock or Applications as you would normally do. All of the above will no longer be necessary, thankfully.
Full platform installation instructions
Only install the full platform if you intend to turn your computer into a server, i.e., a computer open to participants with the client to connect to, thus a computer open to outside connections. The full platform is Windows 10 only. Just download the full-platform installer listed above and run it.
Depending on your Windows 10 security settings, you might get a blue Windows Defender SmartScreen notice. If you do, you'll have to click on More Info, check the box (if present) to indicate you want to continue, and click on Run Anyway.
You'll be presented with an installation wizard. Just follow the steps. The installer will add the following shortcuts to your Start menu, and optionally on your Desktop (depending on whether you selected that option during installation):
- MSP Challenge Client: the same client application as you would get with client-only installation
- MSP Challenge Server Manager: the web application with which you set up your MSP Challenge sessions
- MSP Challenge Server Configuration Editor: an application with which you can create or alter session configurations
The server-side of MSP Challenge functions as a web application. The full platform therefore also installs and configures XAMPP, specifically a bundle of Apache2 web server, MariaDB database server and PHP7. It sets up a random root password for your MariaDB root user. Finally, it schedules a reoccurring task in the Windows Task Scheduler.